2017년 3월 18일 토요일

Work-arounds for external writes (but not really)


While designing an audio engine I found myself in a place where my assets had grown exponentially and I was running out of internal space. Let's use the external sd card. But how? Research led me to Taifun's File Tool. If at first you don't succeed, and all that... You get a list of valid locations, find out which ones and in what ways are they writable... And believe me, i've tried it all.



Method 1: Cash Out

I was already in a place where I was downloading the assets on initial use... so if I couldn't get it off the internal and onto the external, then I wouldn't even download it, 'cause i'm stubborn like that, i'll stream it. However, this left me with a cache full of  audio files that eventually clogged my internal storage... same problem.

Here's how I solved this particular problem: (Download the attachment)

This gets you to a place on your device where you can access the settings for your app, so you can clear the cache.

Note: may not be a viable option for any particular scenario.

I used it as a way to relocate the large amount of accumulated data to another area of the internal structure and give the end user a more readily accessible way of managing those files.

Please take notice that this method will increase data usage overhead; but as programmers... these are the choices we face.

as a side-note: Intelligence, the work-around for ignorance.

--

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기