2016년 12월 3일 토요일

General Question about API's in MIT App Inventor 2 + creating an app


Hi, it's my first time posting here, and I wanted to ask a general question. I'm fairly new to App inventor, (I've only been doing it for like two-three weeks in class) and I have to do a project and I wanted to make an appwhere it searches nearby restaurants. Except that it would have to use many different API's such as yelp and others to make a "total" review. I'm new to API's, so can anybody introduce me to the topic and tell me how I would be able to use multiple API's at once? And any help on the app I'm trying to make and recommendation for improvements would also be really appreciated. :) 

-- 
one possibility is to use different web component for each API


Attached is a movie search app I developed using the Rotten Tomatoes API (overview here).  The nice thing about Rotten Tomatoes over Fandango is that they offer more movie results; I believe Fandango is restricted to the most recent and in theaters.  If you're wanting an app for your job at a theater, that makes more sense.  However, Fandango doesn't offer their API in JSON, but RT does so that's what I went with.

This app isn't perfect, and it would probably need some refining for error catching as well as to fit your needs at work (which is what you can do with this if you like).  As of right now, if the API doesn't return the right information in the right spot you'll get an error when you search.  It also doesn't work well for movies with the same title (Bourne Identity, Supremacy, etc).  Right now it returns one result, and that result is because of the placement of a URL in the API at a specific spot.

Take a gander at the screenshots (including from my phone for how it looks at runtime) and when you've done the tutorials, load the aia file into your AI session to see it and have some fun making it work how you want.


 movie2.jpg
 movie2.jpg
 Screen01.jpg
 Screenshot02.jpg

 movie6.jpg

 movie5.jpg

 movie4.jpg


Hey steve, how would you do the "now showing" part? like, you pull up the app, put in a date and it shows you what is showing at what cinema...and at what time.

According to the Rotten Tomatoes API forum, it's not possible.  They use a 3rd party service on their website which they don't have permission to put into the API for other's usages.

It is possible, however, to see what movies are in theaters.  You would just need to use the API for In Theaters Movies rather than the search API.
-- 
There's a grab bag of Web APIs at the end of   this FAQ:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/mitappinventortest/2cd6Uz__xA0

-- 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기