2017년 6월 6일 화요일

Using the headphone jack as a sensor


Been experimenting with the App Inventor 2 for some time now, building personal projects. 
I'm attempting to create an app that will interact with a piece of hardware-- a set of digital calipers specifically.

I want to utilize the headphone jack as a way to get data from the calipers to the phone, but I can't find a built-in feature or any extensions that achieve this. The data output is very simple, just a clock pin and a data pin, ordinary binary signals, I just need a way to read them.

I know I can use bluetooth, but I wanted to avoid building a separate piece of hardware to accept the data from the calipers and then send over bluetooth. I don't have experience writing my own extensions, which could have been an option but I'm not skilled enough in Java to accomplish this. 

Is there any way this can be done? 

--
What kind of digital calipers have an output port?
A brief search of Amazon found only LCD displays on them.

-- 
They're quite common actually, many don't indicate that beneath a small lid on the upper section of the plastic there is a 4 pin data output port. For example (see last product picture) :

iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-6" Digital Electronic Caliper - IP54 Protection / Extreme Accuracy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INL0BTS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_.8ZTyb817BP9D

Only need two or three  of these pins to obtain data through a headphone jack

I have one  working ideas so far- one is to use the MIT sound analyzer extensions source code, adjust its pitch analyzing function to count highs and lows (digital signal), using the clock pin as a trigger for measurement.

But, there must be a protocol already written to read the data from the headphone jack anyways.


--
I see the Amazon PC data cable for that  device costs twice the device itself!

I would consider trying a Raspberry Pi Zero W for $10, if you can find one.
I hear they sold out immediately on Adafruit.

Or just use the Raspberry Pi Zero for $5, and connect to AI2 by Bluetooth.

-- 
Do you have access to technical data on the signalling technique used on the output port?

Is it ASCii serial coding on RS-232 voltages?

An oscilloscope might be necessary to figure out the data stream.

-- 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기