2014년 12월 1일 월요일

Need help with first App

I am currently creating a dog app which basically gives you information on any dog breed(How large it grows, grooming, exercise, family pet or not, etc). I created a new screen which has about 200 buttons for each dog breed and 5 list pickers. If you click on a dog and it's name starts from A-E then it will take you to the A-E dog breeds screen and the dog you clicked on will be visible while all of the other dogs in that A-E screen will be invisible. And the list picker does the same thing, it's basically a quick navigation instead of scrolling all the way down to find a certain dog breed. The problem that I came to was that I do not know how to do the coding for it. I need the buttons of the dogs to take it to that certain screen and then make the dog that you clicked on visible. I was thinking about using a database and having the dog pictures in there and on the other screen when you click on a dog breed, then the other screen will come up and take the pictures from the data base and display it onto the screen. 

I am still fairly new to app inventor and need some guidance on how to do this coding for my first app.I get what needs to be done but I just don't know how to put that into code blocks.



I created a new screen which has about 200 buttons for each dog

you should think about your design, 200 buttons is a nightmare. 
Your images could be stored in a public folder of your Google Drive

first do the tutorials http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/tutorials.htmlto learn the basics of App Inventor, then try something and follow the



First thing you need to do it the tutorials.  Setting up a screen isn't enough.  On top of that, you're wasting a LOT of resources with 200 buttons.  Obviously, that's clearly not the way to do it.

The tutorials are located here: http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/tutorials. Also, read the tips below:




I've already created the 200 hundred buttons though. And I need help on something else, whenever I use a textbox/label because whenever I check the Multiline box it does not go onto the next line(Long sentence would just go off the screen instead of starting on the next line). And I need help on making a page with long text, I want the screen to scroll automatically showing all of the text(Like a credits screen at the end of a movie). I do not know how to code that.



First throw your 200 buttons away. It will save you a lot of time! Consider this is a mobile phone, not a large movie screen. Think about what you would like to have on the first screen. A list picker or listview with 200 items could be possible, although maybe also not practical. When the user has selected a breed, you can start a new screen with a large text box and pictures containing information about that breed. Steal some example designs from the web! 
Make a small example for the text box to try it out and if you get stuck on the small example, post your blocks, and you will get help.



Hi Thomas:  I got your email but please restrict all replies to this forum, not to me personally... you'll get faster results.

It's nice that you've created 200 buttons.  As Ghica said above... you're working with a SMALL screen, not an IMAX screen.  You can only show so much.  

If you plan to put them ALL on the first screen and allow the user to scroll, that's OK, but honestly, displaying that many graphics will definitely slow your app down a bit.  It'll certainly eat up a lot of phone/device memory.  Plus, you're going to probably have issues going from one device to another, especially with the vast differences in screen sizes.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기